Corona, believed to be a disease of lungs, has been consistently showing its multiple colours over the time.
First, it was found that it not only your lungs, but also your HEART, KIDNEY, LIVER and can also lead to multiple organ failure.
Today, the patients who have recovered from corona state that, even after getting tested negative and staying in quaratine, they dont feel completely fit to the level of their previous level of fitness.
This has been named by many experts as POST COVID SYNDROME or LONG COVID.
POST COVID SYNDROME !!
Post covid pateints have noted symptoms similar to CHRONIC FATIGUE SYNDROME and MYALGIC ENCEPHALITIS. These symptoms include-
- Persistent Fatigue (60-7%)
- Diffuse Myalgia (muscle weakness)
- mild to moderate Depressive symptoms
- Sleep problems (30.8%) such as – .
- difficulty in sleeping
- sleep disturbances
- more fatigue post sleep
- more muscle pain pre and post sleep
- Breathlessness on minimal activities(42%- 65%),
- loss of memory (34%),
- loss of concentration (28%)
- Psychological distress (23%-47%)
In one of the questionare based research study, POST COVID patients scored quite close to patients suffering from POST TRAUMATIC STRESS DISORDER.
When the EMOTIONAL QUOTIENT of post covid patients was measured, it was seen that a drop of approximately 68% and 45% was found in ICU patients and non-ICU patients respectively. Meaning, there was decreased capacity to connect with surrounding environment emotionally.
Have you come across any such symptoms post corona?
I will be pleased to hear your story.
Type them in the comment section below !!
Things to keep in mind for POST COVID CARE !
1. Make sure to HYDRATE YOURSELF!
Water is an important element of your body which is often neglected by many. Water works to redistribute necessary minerals and vitamins from their storage site to the site they are needed.
Water also helps in removal of harmful oxidants and wastes from your body. During disease, your body produces extra oxidants while fighting against the virus. Water helps in removal of these toxic oxidants. Hence, even during disease periods it is advised that you consume enough liquids.
Have atleast 3-4 liters of liquids each day!!
2. Keep in check you PROTEIN intake
Covid causes heavy damage to your body. You may lost muscle during while fighting against the disease or during the quratine.
Also lot of proteins are required, for formation of anti-bodies after the disease.
The muscles of your body and the Immunity cells of your body are made of proteins.
The more proteins you consume, the faster you recover!
Consume 0.8 to 1 grams protein per kilogram of you body weight in each day.
3. MULTIVITAMIN supplements
Apart from proteins, body also requires other vitamins for building lost cells and and recovery of body.
Make sure to consume a complete diet filed with proteins, fat and carbohydrates in proper amounts. Also don’t forget to keep in mind the micro-nutrients.
If necessary, take multi-vitamin supplements !
In a war, there are lots of deaths. Similarly, while fighting against the diease, lots of oxidants are produced.
These oxidants are also produced regularly in human body. And these are regularly eliminated from the body by various anit-oxidants produced by the body itself.
But during disease, the oxidants produced are in huge amounts. So better to have diet rich in anti-oxidants such as Vitamin C, Green Tea etc.
5.Don’t physically exert your body
Your body has just recovered from a disease. You might be in hurry to get back to the usual routine of life as soon as your quarantine ends.
But it will be wise to take baby steps at this time. Slowly increase the level of physical exertion
Exercising is a good thing. But a sudden increase in physical exertion might make you feel more weak and de-motivated!
If you were admitted or had moderate-severe symptoms of Covid, it will be wise to start exercise 1-2 weeks after discharge/ after completion of quaratnine.
And, once you start be very slow in increasing the level of exertion.
6. BLOOD REPORTS
Depending upon the level of severity of disease you faced and also the treatment you received, it may be necessary for you to undergo the following blood tests.
Talk to your treating doctor if you need to get these blood reports done!
- Fasting blood sugar
7. Breathing exercises
If you are old or have suffered from mild-moderate grade pneumonia during your Covid disease period, your lungs will need to continue your lung breathing exercises such as-
This will help in better recovery of your lungs and help you maintain better oxygen saturation after recovery.
WARNING SINGS to look out for during POST COVID period !
with rising cases of MUCORMYCOSIS in country it is extremely necessary to immediately consult the physician if any of the symptoms arise-
PAIN IN FACE-
pain in frontal area of head
pain in nose
pain around cheek
pain in sinuses
Some cases have been recorded where the patients had sudden onset of heart attack or pulmonary embolism
It is necessary to monitor the D-Dimer levels during and after Covid and consult your physician so that medications can be started accordingly.
DOES SEVERITY OF COVID MATTER?
Not much difference was noted in the severity of these symptoms between ICU and non-ICU patients.
So you can’t expect to have less post covid syndrome symptoms even if you had less severe covid symptoms.
FOR HOW LONG ?
I have come across studies, stating they encounterd the above mentioned symptoms in patients even after 71 to110 days after admission. Hence, these symptoms do stay with us in the long run !!
Well, the reason is unknown. But there are certain theories which are based on findings noted in post mortem reports of covid patients.
It is thought that covid virus might have crossed blood brain barrier into hypothalamus via the olactory pathway or through the lymphatics via perivascular spaces along olfactory nerves through the cribriform plate into nasal mucosa.
If the above mentioned theory is true,then it may also be the reason why covid causes anosmia.
Nothing can be concluded, untill more studies are done and we have more conclusive findings.
Some doctors, experts and scientist who have seen such patients now have suggestions of estabiishing rehabilitation programs for post covid patients suffering from such symptoms for their better and speedy recovery.
Covid has already taken heavy toll on the health care system and economy of many countries all round the world.
Managing post covid syndrome cases will place additional burden on already suffering healthcare system.
Do you think the virus that kills a person, is also capable of spreading after the person’s DEATH?
Check out more details here !👇
- Post-discharge persistent symptoms and health-related quality of life after hospitalization for COVID-19 by Eve Garrigues and others
- Persistent Symptoms in Patients After Acute COVID-19 by Angelo Carfì and others
- Postdischarge symptoms and rehabilitation needs in survivors of COVID-19 infection: A cross-sectional evaluation by Stephen J Halpin and others
- Psychosocial impact of COVID-19 by Souvik Dubey and others
- Early rehabilitation in post-acute COVID-19 patients: data from an Italian COVID-19 rehabilitation unit and proposal of a treatment protocol. A cross-sectional study by Claudio Curci and others; Medical Hypotheses
- Into the looking glass: Post-viral syndrome post COVID-19 by Ray Perrin, Lisa Riste and others; Med Hypotheses. 2020 Nov; 144: 110055.
- Neurological complications of coronavirus infection; a comparative review and lessons learned during the COVID-19 pandemic by Maryam Sharifian-Dorche and others
- Early rehabilitation in post-acute COVID-19 patients: data from an Italian COVID-19 rehabilitation unit and proposal of a treatment protocol. A cross-sectional study by Claudio Curci and others
- Chronic widespread musculoskeletal pain, fatigue, depression and disordered sleep in chronic post-SARS syndrome; a case-controlled study by Harvey Moldofsky and John Patcai
Please follow and like us: